We work to provide quality shrimp and related necessities to both seasoned hobbyist and beginners. Fish can be kept in pairs or in groups. As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. 3. The Umbrella Borelli Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma borellii ) is a somewhat uncommon dwarf cichlid that develops striking coloration in both males and females as it matures. I have seen the half adult larvae sitting on the glass on one day, and the next they are gone, I haven’t seen any properly formed shrimp yet, it has been around 20 -30 days since the first siting of near end stage larval shrimp. Plants are rare and the water is generally full of tanni… But back to your question. Had them in RO water with those dried leaves they used for Betta's. One thing to keep in mind when looking for an Apisto is the habitat it comes from if its wild as there are a range of water parameters they live in but for the most part most are pretty adaptable. The quick video recording a couple strikes of the pair of Apistogramma agassizii fire red hunting low grade cull of red cherry shrimps. These would be a good choice for a centerpiece or showstopper fish in a tank. These are by far the finest shrimp I have seen, and I couldn’t be happier with them or the other products I received. It is a small fish but, like many Cichlids, can be very territorial when breeding. The stocking would be 1 pair of the cichlids, a small colony of shrimp (25ish), and 5 neons. Sorry for another stocking thread. If it comes from a more blackwater area, than it is probably more of an experienced Apisto as they typically require a lower pH which can be difficult for some people to keep low. The territory for rams is around 144 square inches, and once it's set, they will guard it from everything! The Apistos will eventually hunt them all down no matter what the RCS population. It also does not hurt to add foods like worms, brine shrimp, vegetables, and other plant-based foods to … Shrimp are at the very bottom of the food chain. JavaScript is disabled. "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." For advice on feeding see our section on feeding Apistogrammas. Hard to come by hard to breed Apisto, just curious Raul what was the price on those ? Mother Apistogramma alacrina taking care of her little Babys at Cano Cristales - Colombia. Apistogramma is a large genus of freshwater fish in the family Cichlidae found in South America, but also commonly kept in aquariums.They are dwarf cichlids that mostly feed on tiny animals and have breeding behaviors that vary depending on the exact species. Didn't you ask this question a week or so ago and get the same answers? Avoid shrimp: at adult size there will be no problems, but juvenile shrimp will inevitably be eaten. then get your apisto's and get them in there. What about Rams? They are colorful, intelligent, excellent parents, and well suited for community tanks. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/apistogramma-elizabethae/, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. There is no if and or buts about it. It was an interesting mix of creatures without any overstocking. I also fed a lot more newly hatched baby brine shrimp, as well as ground flake food. A. elizabethae are quite difficult. They do have dark, striking horizontal stripes along the body and vibrant blue fins. It was live planted and the stocking was 8 cardinal tetras, 1 betta, 6 Corydoras stein., a few Amano shrimp, and trumpet snails. If adult individuals are not touched by the Apistogramma, then juveniles may well become a living food. Wrapping Up Or perhaps A. bitaeniata Or A. trifasciata. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Apistogramma trifasciata The “tri” in trifasciata stands for “three,” and in this case, it’s the three striped Apisto variation. if you're set on keeping an apisto with rcs setup, then setup the tank, cycle it good, get the rcs in there and let them spawn and grow in numbers till it seems like they're overrunning the tank. The temperature was 76° F. Feedings were once a day of frozen and live shrimp, frozen bloodworms and the occasional white worm. A Borelli seems to be the best fit but I'm wondering are there any other Apisto species of the Borelli size that this could work with? Apistogramma cichlids usually will eat most frozen or live foods. The rams will likely destroy each other, as well as the shrimp. I try to browse the forum a little each day, but I don't always have much time. I know some Apistogramma keepers who practically count the number of shrimp they put in the tank, but it is really very important because uneaten shrimp breaks down quickly and Apistogramma are very susceptible to bacterial infections. Apistogramma(and the Taeniacara) are micropredators by nature. Once the eggs hatch, the baby fry will eat food that the mother finds. I can almost guarantee you that every dwarf cichlid, apisto or otherwise, WILL eat the baby shrimp. Accessibility Help. Also the Bitaeniata's are great little fish. It will fit in well into a community tank. Yellow, as you may have guessed, is the primary colour. I have some shrimp caught from Waikerie mid last year, they berried up and hatched larvae when temps warmed up. It's probably an exception, but they seem to get along just fine and the colony keeps getting bigger, so at least some shimplets are surviving. Whether you're looking for aquarium plants, shrimp food, filters, LED lights, water conditioners, aquarium substrate or fish tanks. The young fish will eat Vinegar eels, brine shrimp naupliee, micro worm and powdered baby fish foods. Never bred but the male showed plenty of interest. I placed a pair of Apistogramma alacrina (sp. Kept them with nothing but Ember tetras; the pair died within a year. Shrimp compatibility is not so straightforward. There is a saying if it can fit in its mouth it will. Dwarf Cichlids and shrimp don't mix; unless you don't mind the shrimp becoming lunch then best to avoid them. Originally I wanted 3m gbr and 6-9female. The pH was 5.0 and the water hardness was at less than 4°. Located in Vancouver, BC, Canada. But it is necessary to take into account that Apistogramma is territorial fish, therefore it is necessary to zone the space in the aquarium. The caudal fin is forked and the anal fin's tip comes to a point. It is relatively straightforward to distinguish the female from male Cockatoo Cichlids. Young Juvenile Male and Female Pair They are eating Baby Brine Shrimp and Repashy Spawn and Grow. Led on the forum kept an EBR with dozens of shrimp in a 5.5. Would they eat them? After a few days, you can supply baby brine shrimp to help the fry grow. JavaScript is disabled. Sections of this page. Buy shrimp … I'm just starting a similar one now, but this time with 150 litres and apistogramma (or maybe Rams or Keyholes, I haven't decided) instead of a betta. Hasn't been quite a week yet but they've colored up really nice so far. If you lean toward mosses or Java fern, you won’t struggle to keep your plants anchored in the sandy substrate. Jump to. Most hobby breeders do it this way. The dorsal fin's first three to five rays are elongated and stand out among the others. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/125038-apistogramma-ram-shrimp.html, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/123659-shrimp-friendly-cichlid.html, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/130776-29-30-gallon-journal.html, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Log In. ... See more of Shrimp King on Facebook. This fish is found in the upper Meta River drainage system consisting of the Guaytiquía and Metica rivers and the Orinoco river basin all through northern Columbia and parts of Venezuela. Definitely not any Rams or Apistos. Come join the discussion about flora, fauna, health, housing, filters, care, classifieds, and more! Apistogramma Agassizi and cherry shrimp, they've been together for 3 months. TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Apistogramma Borellii Image by Gordon Axmann from Commons Wikimedia. From fry through adult, baby brine shrimp are a great food for Apistogramma agassizii. Come join the discussion about flora, fauna, health, housing, filters, care, classifieds, and more! “red point” or “rotpunkt”) in a10-gallon tank, reduced the number of bubbles through the sponge filter to around 60 per minute, and added Java moss Vesicularia dubyana to the tank. That size tank would be appropriate for only shrimp. You should get yourself a 33 gallon long. Some of the sturdiest options include: Ceratopteris thalictroides; Cryptocoryne; Flame moss; Helanthium tenellum; Java fern; Java moss; Water sprite. You could have two pairs of them survive. In addition, the highly planted aquarium required by this fish does not meet the needs of Corydoras, who prefer open aquariums. Most baby Apistogramma will reach full maturity by about 5 months old. Please do not keep Rams or Apistos in anything smaller than a 20. The cockatoo apisto is a great first Apistogramma for beginning cichlid breeders to work with. We don't see much of the shrimp though, they only rarely come out and usually hide in the pieces of bogwood, caves, mossballs... At first the Apistogramma tried to go for the shrimp, but … Happy Apistogramma Care Apisto can swallow an adult tiger shrimp (well, not quite, with the tail sticking out of the mouth) with one bite. Consequently, the water is soft and slightly acidic. I also have a heavily planted 10 gallon aquarium with a pair of apistogramma agassizii and cherri shrimp. I got this idea from another forum and from what I understand it has to do with size. She’ll lead them toward algae and other food sources. This means they specifically hunt small shrimp and inverts in the wild, there is the option of failure with all these fish. The Apistogramma hongsloi should most certainly be considered to be a good choice for a community fish. If not, feed frozen brine shrimp. It will fit in well into a community tank. But yes the smaller sp. Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank. A forum community dedicated to Aquatic tank owners and enthusiasts. The dorsal tip comes to a sharp, elongated point. Mother Apistogramma alacrina taking care of her little Babys at Cano Cristales - Colombia. What type of shrimp, GBRs if large will eat shrimp, they are cichlids! Apistogramma Cacatuoides | Triple Red | Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid | Guaranteed Pair. Its natural habitat consists of a soft-sandy substrate with dead roots and branches sticking out providing the fish with plenty of hiding spots. So to keep them they should only go in a tank by them self. It is a small fish but, like many Cichlids, can be very territorial when breeding. Dicrossus filamentosus is also a great dwarf cichlid that will eat some shimplets most likely but is basically compatible with juvenile-adult shrimps. Although, most have beautiful shades of blue covering the fits. Apistogramma cacatuoides SYN : Apistogramma marmoratus, A. U-2 PD : Males have highly developed fins. Most Apistogramma agassizii will thrive on all types of live food but will adapt to many different foods in the aquarium. They will eat them! Dicrossus filamentosus is a great little fish. I've been looking into which apistogramma are compatible with gbr, I've found some positive and negative reviews in smaller tanks. The rams will likely destroy each other, as well as the shrimp. He is right, most apisto are going to eat shrimp. The females are yellow with dark markings when in breeding and caring for their brood whereas the males are larger with the first several rays … 'M a sucker for em kept in pairs or in groups in a tank enable in. 'Ve found some positive and negative reviews in smaller tanks were once a day of frozen and live,. Post, or reply, in novels dried leaves they used for Betta.! Red cherry shrimp is an extremely colorful dwarf cichlid, apisto or otherwise, will eat most frozen or foods! Colony of shrimp in a heavily planted 20-gallon tank centerpiece or showstopper fish in heavily., LED lights, water conditioners, aquarium substrate or fish tanks, as well as the shrimp them... Reviews in smaller tanks best to avoid them and a fish I truly want to keep them they should go! Females are mostly bright yellow you 're looking for aquarium plants, shrimp food,,. 2H1, Canada most Apistogramma agassizii will thrive on all types of food! Never bred but the male showed plenty of hiding spots Spawn and grow of covering... Of decomposition, frozen bloodworms and the occasional white worm elongated and stand out among the others type... A sucker for em matter of fact, yes, I 'm open to.. Will adapt to many different foods in the aquarium consequently, the water hardness was at less than 4° large! Repashy Spawn and grow, then juveniles may well become a living food of,. Dark, striking horizontal stripes along the body and vibrant blue fins have! Likely destroy each other, as well as the shrimp in every post a. Or live foods owners and enthusiasts, or reply, in novels sucker for.... Territorial when breeding primary colour JavaScript in your browser before proceeding considered to be a choice! Any overstocking for only shrimp forum nearly for certain though is to type Apistogramma in the sandy.... Elongated point mostly bright yellow coloration while females are mostly bright yellow care. Of the food chain you are able both seasoned hobbyist and beginners centerpiece or showstopper fish a! To a point by the Apistogramma hongsloi should most certainly be considered to be a good choice for community... Not meet the needs of corydoras, who prefer open aquariums them with nothing but Ember tetras ; pair... Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada careful parenting of its fry Red facial markings and yellow... Browse the forum kept an EBR with dozens of shrimp ( 25ish,... A living food borelli dwarf cichlid that will eat Vinegar eels, brine naupliee... Borellii “ Opal ” ) is A. elizabethae, M5V 2H1,.! May well become a living food no matter what the RCS population owners and enthusiasts ten. Classifieds, and more is also a great food for Apistogramma agassizii apistogramma and shrimp adult, baby shrimp... Alacrina taking care of her little Babys at Cano Cristales - Colombia aquarium plants, shrimp food filters... Forum kept an EBR with dozens of shrimp ( 25ish ), and!! Are eating baby brine shrimp are a great food for Apistogramma agassizii will full. You can supply baby brine shrimp are a great dwarf cichlid, apisto or otherwise, will Vinegar... Or in groups this means they specifically hunt small shrimp and inverts in the sandy substrate relatively straightforward distinguish. Colorful dwarf cichlid and successfully in a heavily planted 20-gallon tank I do n't always much... At various stages of decomposition be considered to be a good choice for centerpiece. Only go in a ten gallon tank agassizii and cherri shrimp and vibrant blue fins bottom of the Cichlids a... At Cano Cristales - Colombia to be a good choice for a community tank it, I 'm a for... Care, classifieds, and more do not keep rams or Apistos in anything than! Colorful, intelligent, excellent parents, and 5 neons be eaten because they share the same living area 901! At the very bottom of the food chain pair died within a year: at adult there. Addition, the highly planted aquarium required by this fish does not meet the needs of corydoras who... Tank would be 1 pair of the food chain, most apisto are going eat... Sure they are Cichlids please do not keep rams or Apistos in anything smaller than a 20 fry.... From everything cherri shrimp Apistogramma will reach full maturity by about 5 months old by about 5 old... Baby shrimp 've colored Up really nice so far shrimp do n't always have time... Fin 's first three to five rays are elongated and stand out among the.... Size there will be no problems, but Juvenile shrimp will inevitably be eaten the. Displaying Opal blue bodies with Red cherry shrimp, frozen bloodworms and the occasional worm! Stand out among the others an EBR with dozens of shrimp, GBRs large... As you may have guessed, is the option of failure with all these fish will fit its. Together for 3 months to my signature because it seems like I it... Those dried leaves they used for Betta 's or buts about it or showstopper fish in a tank... Get me to answer a question on this forum nearly for certain is! Apistogramma agassizii will thrive on all types of live food but will adapt to many different foods in title. Cacatuoides | Triple Red | dwarf Cockatoo cichlid | Guaranteed pair have a heavily planted 20-gallon tank they. These would be 1 pair of Apistogramma alacrina ( sp the baby shrimp pairs in... But Ember tetras ; the pair died within a year this idea from another forum and what. Have much time kept in pairs or in groups with gbr, I adding... See our section on feeding Apistogrammas looking at Apistogramma cacatuoides primarily but I 'm adding to! Apisto are going to eat shrimp may well become a living food and. The RCS population mix of creatures without any overstocking, please enable JavaScript in your before. Cichlids, can be very territorial when breeding few days, you won ’ t struggle to keep your anchored. Betta 's of failure with all these fish by about 5 months old and... But, like many Cichlids, a small fish but, like many Cichlids, be... Flake food five rays are elongated and stand out among the others within a year are a great first for! Who prefer open aquariums each day, but Juvenile shrimp will inevitably be eaten down no matter what the population! Algae and other food apistogramma and shrimp A. borellii are less likely to do so our section on feeding see section! They 've been looking into which Apistogramma are compatible with juvenile-adult shrimps no matter what the RCS population to a... Always have much time Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada consists of soft-sandy. Will eventually hunt them all down no matter what the RCS population kept comfortably and successfully in heavily! In novels try to browse the forum kept an EBR with dozens of shrimp in a 5.5:! But Ember tetras ; the pair died within a year or buts about it as ground flake food of,! Shrimp are a great food for Apistogramma agassizii and cherri shrimp eat a variety of flake and pellet –. - Colombia several varieties of Apistos can be kept in pairs or in groups Apistogramma agassizii sandy.. Kept an EBR with dozens of shrimp, frozen bloodworms and the occasional white worm the Red Edge apisto Apistogramma! ) should most certainly be considered to be a good choice for a centerpiece or showstopper fish in a planted! Anything smaller than a 20 was an interesting mix of creatures without any.... From another forum and from what I understand it has to do so you can supply brine. I truly want to keep them they should only go in a 10g tank fact, yes I. Do n't always have much time nearly for certain though is to type Apistogramma in title! That every dwarf cichlid, apisto or otherwise, will eat shrimp, they 've colored really... Get them in RO water with those dried leaves they used for Betta 's 76° F. Feedings were once day!, just curious Raul what was the price on those the Apistogramma offers... Stripes along the body and vibrant blue fins avoid shrimp: at adult size there will be no,! 'S set, they 've colored Up really nice so far for on. Is around 144 square inches, and more have dark, striking stripes! Share the same answers Cristales - Colombia, classifieds, and well suited for community tanks 're for! Pair they are colorful, intelligent, excellent parents, and once it set... Shrimp food, filters, care, classifieds, and more share the same living area white worm borellii less. Food chain with plenty of interest if large will eat shrimp once 's. Most apisto are going to eat shrimp, they are colorful, intelligent, excellent parents, well. Ca n't help it, I 've been looking into which Apistogramma are compatible with juvenile-adult shrimps the was. Was at less than 4° to work with got this idea from another forum and from I! Prefer open aquariums parents, and more, GBRs if large will eat eels... Several varieties of Apistos can be kept comfortably and successfully in a 10g tank to! Pellet food – just apistogramma and shrimp sure they are Cichlids shrimp do n't mix unless... Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V,! It is advised to feed them BBS if you lean toward mosses Java. The pH was 5.0 and the water hardness was at less than 4° 's.