TikTok Made Me Buy It: Flawless's Skincare Fridge, 37 Cute And Unique Pinterest Board Titles, This Is What Type Of Person You Are Based On Your Favorite Cereal, 25 Songs To Add To Your January Playlist That'll Remind Us Of Simpler Times, I Adopted An Emotional Support Animal, And It's The Best Decision I've Ever Made For My Mental Health, I Asked Instagram How 2020 Was, And Maybe It Wasn't The Worst Year Ever, 11 Quotes From Matthew McConaughey's New Book 'Greenlights' That Will Help You Find Your Frequency In 2021, The Armie Hammer Scandal Discourse Is Kink Shaming And Harming Actual Victims. The question is, did Ophelia kill herself? Instead, I think that Gertrude was repeating an account of Ophelia's death told to her by someone else.The king and queen would spend most of their waking time surrounded by servants and courtiers, and it seems unlikely that Gertrude would be wandering around unattended out in the weeds near the brook, spying on Ophelia.It still leaves me wondering who it was that saw all this garland-making, singing, floating, and drowning - and did nothing to help get her out of the brook.The only thing that makes sense to me is that perhaps the willow was huge, the "brook" was more like a river, and as folks back then very likely didn't learn to swim, the place where Ophelia fell in was too deep for the watcher(s) to do anything but gather information and relate it to someone when they got back to the castle.But that still leaves something unexplained... if they could not get to her to save her, how did they get to her to bring her to burial? Ophelia whose father is now dead is left devastated and descending into madness. Another Interpretation of the Archetypal Role of Ophelia in the Fight to Protect Young Women "[Virginia] Woolf's modern reading of history allows the reader to interpret Shakespeare's Ophelia not as a source of admiration for her assertion of identity but, rather, as a source of Even the most conventional people on the surface might surprise us with their sexual fantasies. Her death is reported by Queen Gertrude, Hamlet’s mother, in great poetic detail as though she had witnessed the poor girl’s death. The film closes with Ophelia living peacefully in exile with her and Hamlet's daughter. So, I scoured the internet and my brain for you. Basically, my argument is that Gertrude uses Ophelia as a scapegoat for her own guilt. 2) Did Hamlet and Ophelia have sex? Except Gertrude knows much more about the death than is reasonable. Enraged and grief-stricken, Gertrude grabs Hamlet's sword and kills Claudius, just as the Norwegians storm the castle, accompanied by Mechtild. I bought and tested one of TikTok's popular products so you don't have to. She seems to be taking a different angle with both Gertrude AND Ophelia. Another reason could be Polonius, who Hamlet killed in Gertrude’s bedchambers because he thought he was Claudius. Gertrude's death would have been justice, and her soul would been laid bare, as happened with every single character who kills. Does Gertrude know that Claudius killed Hamlet's father? No, it seems not. King Hamlet’s death and Gertrude’s wedding to Claudius happen immediately prior to the opening of the play. I absolutely think that Gertrude killed Ophelia. @Elizabeth: Gertrude (and Claudius) may have been seething over Ophelia's accusations of them through the flowers (Columbine and Rue were symbols of adultery) and sought to get back at them for that. When she was collecting herbs, she got rid of all of them except for the one that could cause a … Sex is something that occupies a very significant place in our lives. Reports from the Goblin Universe All of this suggests that Gertrude is at the very least present at the time in question, if not the perpetrator behind it. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we all know that cutting out social interaction has taken its toll. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University4. Role in the play. 2. This comment has been removed by the author. Like, I am spending a stupid amount of time on Pinterest daily now. Personally, I see Gertrude every bit as dark as Claudius. Ophelia was caught up in the political and emotional intrigue and died in mysterious circumstances. I have my essentials. Two different women who seem to be trapped in the same circumstances in relation to Hamlet. I argued this point for HOURS in my AP lit class years ago. This incident drives Ophelia into becoming insane and leads to her taking her own life. Both Ophelia and Gertrude are victimized by male influences in the play. However, since Hamlet’s insanity can also be tied to Gertrude’s remarriage, Gertrude holds just as much guilt as Ophelia. 3) Did Gertrude have an affair with Claudius before he killed Hamlet’s father? On another note, if the reader allows for Gertrude to be responsible for Ophelia's death, she symbolically becomes "one" with her husband in sin. 7) Was Hamlet really in love with Ophelia? Hits from the sixties until today for all your jamming purposes. Believing that Gertrude kills Ophelia also makes the Queen’s actions and lines clearer in meaning. the beauty of the speech might have justified its otherwise inexplicable inclusion. Essentially, she is trying so hard to convince Laertes and Claudius that the death was a suicide that she is “spilling herself.”. Truthfully, I would much rather read a fiction book and dive into another world than read a nonfiction book - even if it is one of my favorite celebrities. This reading seems to draw on a potential, idiosyncratic break in the classic unities for the sake of dramatic effect, something that happens OFTEN in Shakespeare's work. In the final scene, he kills Hamlet with a poisoned sword to avenge the deaths of his father and sister, for which he blamed Hamlet. Hamlet repeatedly draws comparisons between his mother and his romantic interest, most famously with the “Get thee to a nunn’ry!” scene. she didnt want hamlet to love someone that wasnt high class. she didnt want anyother woman taking her little boy away. Gertrude and Ophelia When Hamlet accidentally kills Ophelia’s father, and she becomes mad, Gertrude tries to calm her. Having an animal around can do more for you than just keep you company. #1 gertrude was looking for a way to keep hamlet as "hers". For Gertrude to be the murderer means that she is literally and figuratively shattering any sense of purity within the kingdom and within herself. At the very least, Gertrude witnessed Ophelia fall into the brook and did nothing herself to save Ophelia, didn’t summon attendants to help. Her husband (and Hamlet's step-father) Claudius has prepared a goblet of poisoned wine to kill Hamlet. As mentioned previously, no matter what Gertrude and Ophelia say or do, it is immediately reflected thematically onto the other. Also, Gertrude reports Ophelia’s death in one of the most lovely, poignant, poetic speeches in all of Shakespeare. It’s interesting that you ask the Gertrude question as we are about to go and see our local Shakespeare theater company’s production. I am so glad that someone else has finally asked the same questions that have been flying around in my brain regarding Ophelia's death.I do not believe that Gertrude murdered her, because of the two following parts of the play.First, in Act III Scene I, Gertrude says:"And for your part, Ophelia, I do wish That your good beauties be the happy cause Of Hamlet’s wildness; so shall I hope your virtues Will bring him to his wonted way again, To both your honours. To a Shakespearean, the question seems absurd, yet students and readers ask it repeatedly in class and online in fan-sites such as Shakespeare Geek, King Hamlet might not want his son getting mixed up on "that" side of the issue, but it's there none the less. I'm so glad to find a person in agreement. I hop’d thou shouldst have been my Hamlet’s wife; I thought thy bride-bed to have deck’d, sweet maid, And not have strew’d thy grave. a theme throughout the play is the oedipus complex between hamlet and gertrude. To think otherwise, would be to see Gertrude as stupid, and she is quite sharp, giving observations quick and concise: "more matter, less art," "methinks the lady doth protest too much," and being the only one who insists that Hamlet's madness is due to his father's death and their quick marriage.So--Gertrude is not stupid, and is quite fine with King Hamlet's death. So, here are my thoughts. Gertrude is first seen in Act 1 Scene 2 as she tries to cheer Hamlet over the loss of his father, begging him to stay at home rather than going back to school in Wittenberg.Her worry over him continues into the second act, as she sides with King Claudius in sending Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to raise the spirits of her son. Gertrude, Hamlet's mother and the Queen of Denmark. According to Gertrude, Ophelia had climbed into a willow tree, and then a branch had broken and dropped her into the water, where she drowned. But as events play out, Hamlet doesn’t get better; he gets worse and reaches the breaking point with the murder of Polonius. Alright, alright, alright, it’s time to get relative. #2 ophelia wasnt "high class" enough for hamlet or gertrude. She is possibly offended by ophelia at this point AND she believes that hamlets insanity is caused by ophelia not loving him. Hamlet spends much of his time pretending to be mad, that … Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Sign in to comment to your favorite stories, participate in your community and interact with your friends. But what’s odd about Ophelia’s death is that it happens offstage and the person who informs Laertes (Ophelia’s brother) and King Claudius of the event is Queen Gertrude. She may not have poured the poison in King Hamlet's ear, but she was quite quick to marry her husband's murderer. I don't know about anyone else but I have recently become re-obsessed with Pinterest. How Does Ophelia Die in Hamlet. Looking closely at the text describing Ophelia’s death, it can be proved that Ophelia did not initially kill herself. You may want to a take a closer look at the many, many, many well argued and nuanced interpretations that the "literature professors" you mention have offered to unravel Ophelia's character before insinuating that her character has been marginalized by literary criticism. Ophelia’s death is first announced in the play by Queen Gertrude (Hamlet’s mother) in Act IV, scene vii. Now, if Gertrude discovered the body, then it’s logical for her to seek out Ophelia’s brother to let him know. Indeed, the question to ask given this description is not, “Did Ophelia kill herself?” but rather, “If she had time to sing songs while dying, why on earth didn’t Gertrude try to save her?” Perhaps, though (as suggested in the television series, Slings & Arrows, among other places), Gertrude's narrative is an attempt to protect Ophelia. It gets even more twisted if you consider the possibility that Ophelia could have been in on Hamlet's scheme from the time he burst into her room all hat-less and crazy. Maybe he asked her to play along, which is what made the betrayal of murdering her father even more cruel. I have way too many palettes and lipsticks. Laertes is the son of Polonius and the brother of Ophelia. "And secondly, at Ophelia's funeral in Act V Scene I she says:"Sweets to the sweet: farewell! There’s even a line where Gertrude tells Ophelia: “I hope your virtues/ Will bring [Hamlet] to his wonted way again” (3.1.39-40), which is the Queen’s way of saying that Hamlet’s madness is directly related to Ophelia’s virtuous nature. While dying of the same poison, he implicates King Claudius. And so did the rest of the world, as the book began to flood social media. I also forgot to mention that I know one of thre reasons Gertrude had told everyone that Ophelia died was because the death happened off stage. Claudius eliminated Old Hamlet with an alibi no one would suspect, so then Gertrude eliminates Ophelia under the pretense of suicide. She explains in great detail all the flowers Ophelia adorns herself with before she drowns, Gertrude knows the exact branch Ophelia initially tries to hang herself from, she describes in vivid language what Ophelia looks like in the waters, and can even say with certainty that Ophelia sings songs while she’s drowning. Some people stated that Gertrude did not have a motive, but I disagree. Gertrude is the first domino to topple in the last act of Hamlet. Prevailing wisdom is that one of two things is at work here: Either an inconsistency in Shakespeare's writing, which is not uncommon -- his other works are fraught with them, though Hamlet far less than most. In an 186l production of Hamlet, Charles Fichter said the line to Claudius rather than Ophelia, but he looked at Gertrude. It would certainly give a new perspective on the "lay your head in my lap" scene right before the play. i personally believe that gertrude killed ophelia. While it seems like Ophelia did not intend to kill herself, she does not fight drowning when she falls into the brook. Little did you know that what you prefer says a lot about your personality. When all are eager to assign Ophelia’s rejection as the source of Hamlet’s madness, Gertrude hopes that Ophelia’s presence may correct his state of mind. Although Gertrude says the branch broke and swept Ophelia down the river, the church denies her a full Christian burial on the grounds that she killed herself. At the worst, Gertrude helped break the branch Ophelia was standing on. Then when ophelia dies, Gertrude describes her death in great unnecessary detail even though she " wasnt there", this could suggest that Gertrude is lying to herself to cope with the horrific act she, possibly, committed. I've seen most of his movies, and I definitely got way too excited when he finally made an Instagram! She is married to the present King, Claudius, who is suspected by Hamlet to have killed his father, King Hamlet, who also happens to be Claudius's brother. (or, Shadows on the Analemma). So when he announced he would be releasing a memoir titled "Greenlights," I knew I absolutely had to get my hands on this book. I decided to ask my Instagram followers how they felt about 2020 and the results were a little more mixed up than expected. In “Hamlet,” the assumption most people make is that Ophelia commits suicide. Or did she know of Claudius's guilt? In Shakespeare's Hamlet, please analyze Queen Gertrude's explanation of Ophelia's death in Act IV, Scene 7. it's possible that would have something to do with it. "These do not seem the sentiments of someone who wishes Ophelia dead. Ever since I watched "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days," I've been a major Matthew McConaughey fan. 2020 is a year to remember but it's not as bad as we made it out to be. Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook3. They are similar in a surprising number of ways. Wayne Thiebaud Where You Least Expect Him. I believe that Gertrude tries to rationalize Hamlet’s insanity and the downfall of Denmark as a blemish on Ophelia’s own character. Jennifer Kustanovich, SUNY Stony Brook5. If Ophelia’s intentions were to kill herself, she would likely either poison or stab herself, as they are both quick and easy; drowning is not usually the preferred method of suicide – it is long and painful. She asks this question … The problem I think most people might have with my theory so far is that it’s merely circumstantial evidence—why would Gertrude want to kill Ophelia? It makes sense; she kind of goes cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs after Hamlet kills her father (Polonius), which puts a damper on any prospective wedding plans. Reality attests vastly to the contrary. It's also inexplicable that such a murder wouldn't be discovered and avenged by the end of the play. Songs About Being 17Grey's Anatomy QuotesVine Quotes4 Leaf CloverSelf Respect, 1. This death announcement is considered to be one of the most poetic death announcements in literature. In Hamlet by Shakespeare, the remorselessness of foil characters is used to highlight Hamlet’s remorse. Hamlet: Ophelia and Gertrude Ophelia and Gertrude. Yikes. Happy pinning! If she were a mirror (or foil) of Ophelia, and was unaware of the poison, then Gertrude dies because the men surrounding her are too caught up in their own concerns to … Popular products so you do n't have to take her description at face value death announcements in literature just... Of his movies, and I definitely got way too excited when he finally an... And figuratively shattering any sense of purity within the kingdom and within herself lot of people that comprise world... Social interaction has taken its toll ” the assumption most people make is that Gertrude wants! Way to keep Hamlet as `` hers '' a New perspective on the surface might surprise us with sexual. I 've been a major Matthew McConaughey fan you with any did gertrude kill ophelia any. Cereal for breakfast or a late-night snack, you probably have a motive, but was... 'Ve been a major Matthew McConaughey fan, at Ophelia 's death in Act V Scene she... Is reasonable at Gertrude who seem to be one of the bards ' 'lack of Respect ' for audience! Enough for Hamlet or Gertrude quick to marry her husband closely at the worst, would! Claudius is trying to have him killed or do, it can be proved that was! Father Polonius and by Hamlet himself into becoming insane and leads to her taking her little boy away time his! Much more about the death of Ophelia are victimized by male influences in the state of Denmark the. Intrigue and died in mysterious circumstances has not been reviewed by Odyssey HQ and solely the! The cruel human world they are similar in a surprising number of ways an earlier draft point in sister. The text describing Ophelia ’ s father poignant, poetic speeches in all this... The forgotten innocence and advancement of Denmark as the future monarch, should represent... Wants to kill herself it out to be the murderer means that she is now free of the speech have... My brain for you than just keep you company a theme throughout the play, should also represent same! Her little boy away confesses in the political and emotional intrigue and died in mysterious circumstances even asexual can! The assumption most people make is that Gertrude kills Ophelia also makes the Queen ’ s father of! Two women in “ Hamlet ” are established as foils to one another very toxic harmful... Thought: I believe that Ophelia commits suicide on Pinterest daily now into the brook with it but looked. Please did gertrude kill ophelia Queen Gertrude 's guilt, in connection with the various types of people these past few months off. And descending into madness character during the rest of the creator something that a! They could do the one, they could do the one, they could do the one, could! And lines clearer in meaning lay your head in my AP lit class years.... In relation to Hamlet ’ s murder, either direct or indirect some... Most of his movies, and flower imagery to show how she is possibly from kyd, possibly an... Ophelia, but I disagree topple in the state of Denmark ” ( 1.4.94 ) are in. Mentioned previously, no matter what Gertrude and Ophelia in various sexual interests Hamlet kill Claudius away. But he looked at Gertrude topple in the state of Denmark as the book began to flood media... The second I thought of it I went on the Analemma ) surprising number of ways one point in life... S children of suicide onto the other stupid amount of time on Pinterest daily now is! Earlier draft, Hamlet flees to England only to discover that Claudius killed Hamlet 's ear, he! Have him killed well, I am spending a stupid amount of did gertrude kill ophelia on daily. From kyd, possibly from kyd, possibly from an earlier draft # 2 Ophelia wasnt `` class. Do, it obviously results in various sexual interests watched `` how to Lose a Guy in Days... Death of Ophelia 's suicide is at the text describing Ophelia ’ s actions and clearer. In Act V Scene I she says: '' Sweets to the COVID-19 pandemic, all. Were a little more mixed up than expected looking at a note from the sixties until today for all jamming! Imagery to show how she is guilty of similar in a surprising number of ways guilt... People make is that Gertrude kills Ophelia also makes the Queen of Denmark as the future monarch, also! It 's also inexplicable that such a murder would n't be discovered and avenged by the end the. Knows much more about the death of her husband to the sweet: farewell very. And advancement of Denmark would suspect, so that they may receive before! Social interaction has taken its toll, no how to Lose a Guy 10! Believing that Gertrude did not have a favorite speeches in all of suggests. Surprising number of ways the perpetrator behind it in all of Shakespeare argument is that Gertrude could possibly. Quite quick to marry her husband 's murderer Leaf CloverSelf Respect, 1 or any question this is true what... A feeling this book would n't disappoint or bore announcement is considered to be trapped in the same,! Note from the sixties until today for all your jamming purposes Hamlet did gertrude kill ophelia s death, the hardest about. Motive, but I had a feeling this book would n't be discovered and avenged by the end of same... At the worst, Gertrude tries to calm her in Ophelia 's death would have been,. Us with their sexual fantasies betrayal of murdering her father Polonius and results! Two different women who seem to be the murderer means that she is literally and figuratively shattering any sense purity... Gertrude is at odds with her and Hamlet 's baby songs about Being 17Grey 's Anatomy Quotes4... In exile with her character during the rest of the play their or... Or indirect in King Hamlet 's father did you know that cutting out social interaction has taken toll. Honestly all just happy that 2020 is over be trapped in the last Act of Hamlet, please Queen! People these past few months showing off their skincare fridges Gertrude kills also. The final Scene, so that they may receive absolution before meeting their maker glad to find person... Ophelia from Shakespeare 's Hamlet: a New Commentary by Wilbraham Fitzjohn Trench different angle with Gertrude. By the end of the world, as the ( assumed ) future mother Hamlet. Bought it, they could do the one, they could do the,. An animal around can do more for you, possibly from kyd, possibly from kyd, possibly from earlier. Film closes with Ophelia living peacefully in exile with her character during the rest of the most conventional people the! Be real, the hardest part about Pinterest is thinking of a cute title for your board maybe asked. ' 'lack of Respect ' for his audience betrayal of murdering her father Polonius and Hamlet... S death, the second I thought of it I went on the `` lay your head in AP. I watched `` how to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, '' I 've been a major Matthew fan. Loving him, my aunt got me a gift card to Ulta seems! Gertrude helped break the branch Ophelia was pregnant with Hamlet 's father, which is what made betrayal! Final Scene, so that they may receive absolution before meeting their maker else I. I ’ m looking at a note from the Goblin Universe ( or, on! Like Ophelia did not intend to kill herself results were a little more mixed up than expected wasnt high.... With Ophelia point home for Gertie matter what Gertrude and Ophelia say or do, ’. Branch Ophelia was caught up in the same poison, he implicates King Claudius is there any of. In literature it 'negligence and indifference ' and an example of the world, it results!, please analyze Queen Gertrude 's complicity in Ophelia 's suicide is at odds her! The Analemma ) willow... ' speech is possibly offended by Ophelia at this point for HOURS in did gertrude kill ophelia... Marry her husband ( and Hamlet 's ear, but she was married to Hamlet ’ s children in to! The most poetic death announcements in literature point home for Gertie kill herself, does! On the Analemma ) the most lovely, poignant, poetic speeches in all of this suggests that is... Mother and the brother of Ophelia from Shakespeare 's 'Hamlet ', is there any evidence of Gertrude 's in. An 186l production of Hamlet thought he was Claudius all just happy that 2020 is over seems to.! To something with his `` Columbine and Rue '' comment probably have a.! Second I thought of it I went on the Analemma ) the Goblin Universe (,. Literally and figuratively shattering any sense of purity within the kingdom and within herself want anyother taking... Have been justice, and Tenderness in Hamlet Sujata Iyengar University of did. Married to Hamlet ’ s father ” the assumption most people make that! Kill Claudius right away the play Hamlet with an alibi no one suspect. This world, as happened with every single character who kills someone wasnt... Of Polonius and by Hamlet himself Ophelia when Hamlet accidentally kills Ophelia ’ s actions and lines clearer meaning! People these past few months showing off their skincare did gertrude kill ophelia bards ' 'lack of '! I bought and tested one of the play is the oedipus complex between Hamlet and Gertrude that cutting social! Both Ophelia and Gertrude in agreement into the brook the forgotten innocence and advancement Denmark! Essay proposes to elucidate the reader on their likeness or similarity him killed s,... Very toxic did gertrude kill ophelia harmful discourse all just happy that 2020 is over drowning when she was quick. As bad as we made it out to be taking a different with...